Sunday, May 26, 2013

Wine Wars-For Wine Geeks and Wannabes!

The first time I played this game I didn't know anything about wine and I almost won just from guessing. Don says I probably knew more than I let on. You've got to get this game. It's a trivia game kinda like Trivial Pursuit that tests your knowledge of the fruit-of-the-vine. But before playing, of course you have to pour a glass of your favorite wine. It's fun to play this game singly or in teams. 
Wine Wars includes 150 cards with 750 questions and answers, 6 game boards, 1 die, and a front/back illustrated regional map of the new and old wine world. The categories are "Vine to Vino", which is about growing grapes, making wine, and world production. There's "Grapeosphere" which is the varieties of grapes, their wines and geography. Another category is "Wine Cellar" that deals with selecting, storing and tasting wine. "Wine and Food" encompasses cooking with wine, pairing foods with wines, and wine service. And last "Cork Culture" that is about the wine people, business, arts and sciences and just trivia. 
The playing pieces are tiny wine bottle are colored coded for each category and fit into slots in your playing card, if you get an answer correct.
                                     

I've learned a great deal from just studying the new world and old world maps. It stays folded up in the tiny box, so I didn't take a picture of it. Here is a close-up of what a trivia card looks like!

 Answer this if you can! What wine was born of a Napa-Bordeaux joint venture between Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi?

If you click on the link, you'll find out! And when you do, it's an amazing website and very personal. You have to make reservations with them by phone to taste their wines. 

And by the way, these wines sell for $200 and up! If you purchase, you have to purchase six bottles. I'm putting this on my wish list to visit when I'm in Oakville, CA (Napa)! It looks like an amazing winery. When old and new world styles join together to create a place of opulence and noteworthy style, I'm there! Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment