Thursday, April 11, 2013

Uh-Oh! We Did it Again!

Have you ever been in such a hurry that you forget something? Come on-we all do! Such is the case of a bottle of Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay 2011 yesterday. I used to drink it whenever I wanted a white wine and was just beginning to branch out to other wines after Reislings! Okay, I know! That doesn't say much. But hey, everyone has to begin somewhere, right?! 



After discovering that DON left the bottle in the freezer all night, I decided that it would make for a quick post this morning. I guess you noticed the other, uh, frozen containers (Mi Cocina Mambo Taxi and Margarita pre-mixed) in the background! That was put there on purpose, but also left there on purpose too! It's too easy to go to Mi Cocina and just order one or three, rather than wait for the stuff to thaw out. More fun too!

I found out after some research that it doesn't really harm the wine if frozen, but you don't want to put it in there and forget it over and over (like we do)! If left too long, the pressure moves the cork up and allows air to enter the bottle and causes oxidation. There wasn't much left in the bottle anyway, and it was a leftover wine that we didn't even order Saturday night at the wine auction. Room service brought the wrong white wine! Bummer!

By the way, there isn't a cork in this bottle anyway! It's a screw top! So cheesy! But easy!!!

So I thought, maybe freezing wine isn't too bad after all. If you plan to use it to cook with, which is what I did with about a cup of this bottle the other night, you're good to go. I know it's too buttery and not considered a dry wine, but I used it anyway. It was fine! (Someone I love told me not to use it, but I didn't want to open another bottle just for a half cup of white wine!) I plan on trying to freeze some wine for cooking in a tray like this and just pop out what I need! VOILA!!!!



OOPS! I just said that I used a half cup in the recipe and before I told you a whole cup. I don't remember which one I used, but it was great! I'll post the recipe another day!

This is what a bottle of UNFROZEN Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay 2011 should look like poured in a glass. It sells for about $24 a bottle. 


Winemaker notes say that it has an intense and rich aroma of honey, apple pie, butterscotch, (which I detest), and hazelnuts. This is complimented with lemon blossom and lemon curd. It pairs well with grilled chicken, turkey, or pork and seafood such as lobster, shrimp and flavorful fishes. Vegetables to serve with it would be spinach, asparagus, and avocado.

Enjoy!!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Recently discovered a nice, crisp, clean chardonnay at Salum. 2011 MacRostie family chard from Sonoma. Screw cap. Best well-chilled (not frozen!). Found it at Spec's. -Rick

    ReplyDelete