Sunday, June 2, 2013

Winery #2-Paso Robles-#Adelaida Cellars #Peonies #Rose'


Our next stop took us to Adelaida Cellars located on a hilltop ranch in the Santa Lucia Mountains with elevations up to 2,300 feet. They specialize in estate grown Pinot Noir, Old Vine Zinfandel, serious Cabernet Sauvignon, and Rhone varietals. It's open to the public, so just drive up and taste!


We didn't spend more than 30-40 minutes at the wineries that we visited last Wednesday. I normally like to tour the place, chat with the staff about the winery, browse the tasting room, and visit with other tasters and find out where they've been or where they are headed!
Great place to picnic also!

I love the history of this little town which began in 1870. The website shows a timeline from then till now and how the winery has grown into what it is today. It's a very interesting story.  Take a look at their accolades! Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate, has given them no less than a score of 90 and up on all of their wines I read about. Very impressive!
I bought four very different bottles of wine. The first one in the pic above is a 2010 Syrah, Anna's Vineyard ($32). It has a "perfume of raspberries and dried herbs. The palate is seductively lush with dark fruits, South American dark chocolates, hints of vanilla bean, and subtle tannins."

Skipping the Rose', next is the 2010 Pinot Noir, HMR Vineyard ($40). It's a "brilliant magenta color with aromatic notes of savory rhubarb and freshly brewed tea." Now, I don't like rhubarb at all. I tried it in Ireland last August and couldn't eat it, even with yogurt and granola. But I didn't detect it in the taste. This Pinot is also flavorful with ripe cherry, nutmeg, and allspice! 

Now, the one I skipped! This is a 2012 Version Rose', Anna's Vineyard ($20). This Rose' is dry with a hint of strawberries. What more could I ask for!

Notice the lovely peonies and orchids sitting beside the bottle. My girls just sent that to Don congratulating him for his AIME (Advertising Innovation and Marketing Excellence) Award he was presented last night at the Fairmont Hotel in Dallas. What sweet and beautiful girls I have-just like the flowers!
Last but not least is the bottle of 
2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, Viking Estate Vineyard Reserve ($ 75) for Don! This wine has a flavor of black currants, mocha, intensified with cedar. It comes from their Cab premier vineyard. I hope it meets his criteria! I can't wait to taste it again!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment